Monday, October 20, 2008

The birthday

So...my birthday weekend. I went home Friday night--my mother came up and picked me up after work. When we got home I watched a little of "House of Flying Daggers" (good movie, a few FFW scenes) and then realized I needed to go to bed.

Saturday we worked on getting the house cleaned up a bit and food made. Two frineds came over about 11:30. We talked a bit and then ate lunch. Bratwurst or hamburgers, potato salad, tomatoes, pickles, and carrot sticks. My father was working until 1:00 so we played Taboo and Clue until then. When he got home we had cake and I opened presents. Rested a bit, talked to my sister, and went to Vespers and Matins. It was a really nice day, full of good things and people who love me.

Today we went to church, came home and then I left about 2:15. It was a great blessing to have communion.

The day ended nicely with dinner (at the cafeteria, yes I am lame) with friends, Mulan, and white chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream. *falls over* That stuff is amazing!

And now....the presents! (Click on the pictures to see them full-sized...I can't fiddle with them right now as I need to go to bed.)

Photobucket
My father made me spoons. Which is just super cool! I'd been hoping he would make some for me sometime but it was nice to get them now.

Photobucket
My friends gave me an English tea. Scone mix, Twinings Earl Grey, Nutella, digestive biscuits, mushroom pate, lemon curd, rolls, an English cucumber, Devon cream, smoked salmon, English cheddar cheese with carmelized onions. All in a lovely basket!
Photobucket
Close-up of the basket

Photobucket
My sister painted me a picture! Isn't it lovely?

Photobucket
Books...yes, my brother gave me the King of Attolia.

Photobucket
Second hand baking pans.

Photobucket
Origami

Photobucket
My gag joke from my friend Nick--he made the cover to fit on some random book...because he likes to get me mad by talking about Jane Eyre as if Jane Austen wrote it.

And! The gift that you can't see because it was taking all of these pictures...a digital camera! It was really sweet of my parents to get it for me.

Not pictured: a red sweater (YAY!), a cream shirt, and a traveling skirt.

So...some good, some bad. At the moment I'm tired which is not helping my attitude. Hopefully sleep and a new day will.

I also realized when I got back that my alarm clock would have gone off at 8:30 am both days. Ooooops. Sorry neighbors. Maybe I should give them some of the cookies I made last week.

3 comments:

Pam H. said...

Lovely gifts!

I like my second-hand baking tools best. They were my grandmother's, mostly.

Lady Dvora said...

Those are some AMAZING presents! The picture is beautiful and I LOVE the Jane Eyre by Jane Austin cover!!

It sounds like you had a wonderful day!
May the next year be a happy one for you!

Mimi said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! What lovely presents!

Many Years!