Friday, February 16, 2007

White Cake

This is from an old cookbook at Slate Run Living Historical Farm where I once volunteered. Unfortunately I evidently didn't remember to write down which cookbook, so you'll have to take my word for it. At any rate, it's a simple cake and delicious. I don't think you need any sort of frosting. The directions are minimal as directions from the time period often are.

White Cake

1 cup butter
3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
5 egg whites
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon soda (i.e., baking soda)

Mix together (I do it in order). Bake until done.

I know the recepie isn't terribly helpful, but I commonly use a 9-inch round cake pan and put the oven at about 350 degrees. I'm not sure how long it will take to be "done." The cake is still worth it.

No comments: