Monday, September 08, 2008

August reading list

A bit late...sorry!

Life is So Good--George Dawson: Touching memoir of the grandson of former slaves who learned to read at age 98.

A Tale of Time City--Diana Wynne Jones: Not my favorite DWJ. Nothing wrong with it, I just wasn't blown away like I usually am.

The King of Attolia--Megan Whalen Turner: I'm sure you're all sick of hearing about how much I love this series. But I love this series.

You Can Go Home Again--Gene Logsdon: Memoir of one of the sustainable agriculture types. Very interesting and some great thoughts. Mild language warning.

Sprig Muslin
Duplicate Death
Lady of Quality
Unknown Ajax
Beauvallet--Georgette Heyer: Again, I read too much Georgette Heyer. I'm trying to work my way through her books so that then I can just read the ones I know are good.

Fire and Hemlock--Diana Wynne Jones: Re-telling of the Tam Lynn legend. Very well done, I thought. It would be nice to read this and The Perilous Gard back to back.

Fragile Things--Neil Gaiman: Collection of short stories and poems. Some really great stuff in there, but MAJOR content warning for several of the stories.

Beauty--Robin McKinley: Not my favorite McKinley (and she wouldn't be hurt by my saying that) but a great comfort read.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow--Jessica Day George: Well done re-telling of "East of the Sun, West of the Moon." I'd never read a re-telling of that particular story until this year and now I've read two (East by Edith Pattou is the other.)

The Penderwicks--Jeanne Birdsall: Fun story in the tradition of the Bastables and Melendys, I'd say, although not quite as well done as either. Still, I'm glad to hear that there's a sequel.

Strong Poison--Dorothy Sayers: One of my favorite Sayers. I mean, how can it not be?

The Doors of the Sea--David Bentley Hart: This is a fascinating book written from an Orthodox perspective on the problem of God and suffering. It was recommended by Deb. I want to write more fully about it.

Betsy's Wedding--Maud Hart Lovelace: Another huge old comfort read.

Deerskin--Robin McKinley: This book is wonderful and I don't recommend it to anyone. The subject matter is very difficult to deal with and I had a very hard time with it. But it's a great treatment, IMO.

Keturah and Lord Death--Martine Leavitt: I must be somewhat morbid, because I like books with Death as a character in them. I read this some time ago and it was just as good the second time around. Highly recommended.

The Homeward Bounders--Diana Wynne Jones: Not my favorite DWJ, but nothing wrong with it either.

The Saturdays--Elizabeth Enright: If I have children, they will be intimately acquainted with the Melendys. That's all I have to say.

Spiderwick 2: The Seeing Stone--Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black: Meh. Not wild about these, although the illustrations are really nice.

Up a Road Slowly--Irene Hunt: A book that I always think I'm going to like just slightly more than I do. It's still pretty good though.

A Study in Scarlet
The Sign of Four
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
The Return of Sherlock Holmes
His Last Bow
The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes--A. Conan Doyle: I'd never actually read any Sherlock Holmes and I decided this needed to be remedied.

Because of Winn-Dixie--Kate DiCamillo: You can never go wrong with Kate DiCamillo. A sweet story about a girl and her dog.

The Case of the Missing Marquess--Nancy Springer: A take-off on Sherlock Holmes. There was a bit too much Message for my taste. And I would love to have a novel set in the Victorian era where the heroine is fine with corsets and sewing. Seriously. Not everyone hated them and rebelled.

The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie--Jaclyn Moriarty: This was tons of fun! I liked it even better than the first book, The Year of Secret Assignments, partly because I kind of identified with Bindy.

Pride and Prejudice--Jane Austen: For school, but it's nice to have an excuse to read Austen. :D

4 comments:

Mimi said...

I totally agree with the Betsy books (I was just thinking of Betsy and Ivanhoe yesterday during Book Club) and agree with Kate DiCamillo too.

I need to read Georgette Hyer.

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

You read all those books in one month? WOW! I'm impressed. I like the sorts of books you're reading too, though many of them I've never heard of. I'm trying to collect all of Dorothy Sayers, however, and read Strong Poison this past year.

I've been wanting to post about the books I read (I thought I read a lot till I saw your list) and wasn't sure how to go about it. Writing a monthly post about the books read since the last post is a great idea and I may copy it.

MaureenE said...

Mimi, one of my favorite moments is the apple-blossom description. I think it's in Betsy was a Junior. Georgette Heyer is a great fluffy read.

Debbie, I read really quickly so I do make it through a lot of books. I'm also an English major so I consider it my obligation. Dorothy Sayers is amazing most of the time. I didn't enjoy Five Red Herrings as much. Feel free to use the monthly post idea! I do sometimes do longer reviews of single books, but it helps me get something down about each one.

Josette said...

Hi!

I enjoyed reading The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie too. You said it - it's definitely a fun read! :) Here's my review of it.