Sunday, February 03, 2008

January Book list

Finally, here it is!

Journey to Heaven--St Tikhon of Zadonsk: Good, inspiring book. It didn't bowl me over, but it was worth reading.
An Old-Fashioned Girl--Louisa May Alcott: A comfort re-read. Polly has always been one of my favorite characters. Although LMA does go into her preachy mode quite a bit in this book.
Archer's Goon--Diana Wynne Jones: Unlikely story which I quite enjoyed. Not for those who don't like sci-fi/fantasy. (I'm still not quite sure which one this is.)
The Tale of Despereaux--Kate DiCamillo: Read this book. It is lovely and wonderful and if you don't read it you will regret it. The tale of an unlikely hero with large ears, a rat who loves light, the Princess Pea, and Miggery Sow.
N or M--Agatha Christie: Tommy and Tuppence in war time. Huzzah for Tommy and Tuppence. Again, a comfort re-read.
Artists in Crime--Ngaio Marsh: When Alleyn first meets Troy. One of her best, in my opinion.
Court Duel--Sherwood Smith: The sequel to Crown Duel. Very different from the first, but I enjoyed it just as much. It was nice to see Meliara growing up a bit.
False Scent--Ngaio Marsh: I really like some of the minor characters in this one, especially Octavius Browne.
The Tale of Despereaux: Yes, I liked it so much I read it a second time in one month.
As for Dream--Saskia Hamilton: Poetry, for school. Beautiful, spare lyric poetry.
As For Dream: I read it twice for school.
Enna Burning--Shannon Hale: The sequel to Goose Girl. I didn't find it as absolutely gripping, but it was well written and I enjoyed getting a glimpse into Enna's character.
Sense & Sensibility: The Screenplay and Diaries--Emma Thompson: Very enjoyable, but language and content warning for the diaries.
To Love and Be Wise--Josephine Tey: Not my favorite of her books, but I had never read it before. If you're going to read a Tey, read The Daughter of Time, or Brat Farrer.

No comments: