Thursday, January 03, 2008

Taste of prayer

This is from the ninth ode of the canon to the Theotokos. I found it highly comforting earlier.


Turn not away from the torrent of my tears, O Virgin, thou who didst give birth to Christ, who dost wipe away all tears from every face.

O most holy Theotokos, save us.

Fill my heart with joy, O Virgin, thou who didst receive the fullness of joy, and didst banish the grief of sin.

O most holy Theotokos, save us.

Be the haven and protection, and a wall unshaken, a refuge and shelter, and the gladness, O Virgin, of those who flee unto thee.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Illumine with the rays of thy light, O Virgin, those who piously confess thee to be the Theotokos, and do thou banish away all darkness of ignorance.

Both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

In a place of affliction and infirmity am I brought low; O Virgin, do thou heal me, transforming mine illness into healthfulness.

No comments: