Saturday, March 08, 2008

Rowan Farm: A Review

Rowan Farm
By Margot Benary-Isbert

Years ago I read The Ark by Margot Benary-Isbert and fell in love with it. I found out pretty quickly that it had a sequel which, naturally, I wanted to read. But my library didn't have it and I really don't like buying books without reading them. So I waited. Then we moved, and that library didn't have it. I came to college, and my college library didn't have it. It was only very recently that I realized that my college is part of a group of colleges who send books to each other and that one of those other colleges might conceivably have it! I checked, and yes, they did.

So, all that to say, that after years of waiting, I finally read the sequel to The Ark. And I loved it too, which was a great relief. It turned out just the way I wanted to, which, believe me, I had been worrying about since I finished The Ark for the first time!

Anyone who has read The Ark will enjoy this one. There are old friends and several new ones. The story is still a mixture of realistic and sweet. If you haven't read The Ark, you should! And then you should read Rowan Farm.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've read The Ark, just finished it actually, and I loved it!! But, unforunately, I can't find Rowan Farm anywhere... :( I'm vewy, vewy sad...

MaureenE said...

Oh, that's awful! Well, it's worth buying it, if you feel like it. :)