Saturday, December 01, 2007

November Reading List

The Amber Spyglass--Philip Pullman: Probably my least favorite out of the three books. I feel that it's too preachy and unequivocal to be a good story. It also seems to me that Pullman's language is much flatter and less interesting in this one.

The Farthest Shore--Ursula LeGuin: One of the Earthsea series. It was probably my least favorite out of all of them, although I love Lebbannen. I would still re-read it, and it's Ursula LeGuin, so it can't be bad.

Don't Let Me Be Lonely--Claudia Rankine: For my poetry class. A beautiful set of poems. I think there are a few parts that would be disturbing for some, so tread carefully if you object to violence.

Tehanu--Ursula LeGuin: I like this book overall, although LeGuin becomes very explicitly feminist and there is a little, um, interesting bit at the end. But overall, a very satisfactory finish to the Earthsea series.

The Good Thief--Marie Howe: Another book of poetry. Very beautiful poems, although pretty explicit in places, so I can't just recommend it.

A Man Lay Dead--Ngaio Marsh: A re-read. I love Inspector Alleyn.

Enter a Murderer: Ditto the above.

A Passage to India--E.M. Forster: For Literary Theory. It was okay. Not great, though.

Brinkley Manor--P.G. Wodehouse: The man is a genius. This is the one with Gussie Fink-Nottle and Aunt Dahlia and Madelyn Bassett. And Jeeves and Wooster, naturally.

Morality for Beautiful Girls--Alexander McCall Smith: The third in the Botswana detective stories. I really like these books for the simplicity of the language and the main characters.

The Kalahari Typing School for Men: Ditto the above, except it's the fourth book.

The Inheritance of Loss--Kiran Desai: Another Literary Theory book. Not my favorite. Enough said.

Death of a Peer--Ngaio Marsh: This could well be one of my absolute favorite Ngaio Marsh books. I love the Lampreys and I love Roberta Grey, and I love Inspector Alleyn.

The King of Attolia--Megan Whalen Turner: Have I mentioned how much I love this series? Because I just discovered it this summer and I can't stop reading it. It's amazing! Loves Gen and Attolia and Eddis and Sophos and....

A Clockwork Orange--Anthony Burgess: One of the most interesting books I've read in a long time. It's written in a made-up street slang which derives from Russian. Since I'm taking Russian I had fun deciphering the meanings. But it would be really confusing if I didn't speak Russian! It's very dark and violent, so be warned, but it's definitely a good read if you can handle it.

No comments: