Saturday, May 05, 2007

Literary news again

This is everything I'd collected for about the past month, but most of it was repetitive (anyone noticed how the internet is like that?) so there aren't actually all that many links to post.

Charles Dickens

Two new Dickens adaptations in the works: David Copperfield and Oliver Twist. The last one is interesting--is it a requirement that the hype for every new adaptation says something about it being "new and updated?"

J.R.R. Tolkien

Tolkien's Christianity and the pagan tragedy. I think the first paragraph is interesting but it goes downhill from there, since, among other things, Tolkien himself said that Beowulf was a Christian not a pagan tragedy. Still, some interesting points to think about.

Sales are evidently high for The Children of Hurin. Not a surprise--Tolkien fans are many and geeky. I can say this, being one.

A roundup of Children reviews. For the record, I would include the accent, but I can't figure out how to. Technological illiteracy creates its issues.

Elizabeth Gaskell

Filming is starting for "Cranford."


And in non-literary news, an interview with the nun who runs the Vatican's website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was wrong with the last Oliver Twist? I thought it was great!
I need to finish reading Cranford before the movie comes out. That was probably one of the leat likely books I had in mind for a movie, but I guess there is an E.G. craze since N&S was such a big hit.

-VB

MaureenE said...

VB, I really don't know! Oh well, the more Dickens the merrier, I guess.

I agree that Cranford is somewhat of an odd choice, but probably N&S is responsible.