Tuesday, January 16, 2007

2006 in Books, Part Two

Grey is the Color of Hope by Irina Ratushinskaya: The autobiography of a Russian poet, who for her poetry was sent to a political prison inside a prison camp during the 1980s. This is a fascinating story which gives a real glimpse into the Soviet Union just before and during Gorbachev. Highly recommended for more mature readers.

A Solitary Blue by Cynthia Voigt: I have read all but the last book in the Tillerman series and I can say without hesitation that this is my favorite. The characters are real and interesting and I liked having a better sense of who Jeff is. Highly recommended for slightly more mature readers.

Fr. Arseny by Vera Bouteneff: Fr. Arseny was a well known and respected Russian art historian. Fr. Arseny was a well known and respected Russian art historian who became a simple priest and was put into a Soviet labor camp. This is his biography, gathered by one of his spiritual daughters from those who knew him. There is a second book, Fr. Arseny: A Cloud of Witnesses. Highly recommended for more mature readers.

The Year of Jubilo by Ruth Sawyer: This is another book that I had read years ago and enjoyed but had been unable to find again. It is a sequel to Roller Skates. Lucinda is much older and more mature. Her relationship with her brothers and her mother is really explored. Highly recommended for almost all ages.

Downright Dencey by Caroline Dale Snedeker: Dencey is a Quaker girl on Nantucket in the 1800s. This is the story of her girlhood. I had heard of this book vaguely for some years and when I finally found it and read it this summer I felt sad that I had not been able to read it growing up. It is a lovely story, simple and sweet, but with layers that an older reader can appreciate. Highly recommended for all ages.

Seacrow Island by Astrid Lindgren: Yes, she wrote Pippi Longstockings, but Astrid Lindgren was (in my opinion) a much better writer than she shows in that book. This is the story of a family who goes to live on Seacrow Island and their life together and with the other inhabitants of the island. Highly recommended for almost all ages.

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis: For years one of my dear friends has been writing me letters and telling me to read this book. I finally did this summer and loved it every bit as much as she thought I would. It is a re-telling of the Psyche myth. I think it will take another reading for me to be able to talk about it intelligently but I know that it meant something to me. Highly recommended for slightly more mature readers.

Part One here
Part Three here

No comments: