Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A college education

I came across a link to this post at LAF the other day. This post may not make much sense unless you've read it, so go do that.

I am not a wife or mother and therefore it may seem that I'm blowing smoke or speaking out of place. However, since that is my (eventual) goal, I see nothing wrong with educating myself as much as I can now.

Although I plan to be a stay-at-home wife and mother (if it is God's will) I am also attending college. There are several reasons for this. First, my parents, especially my father, encouraged me to do so. Second, God gave me a good mind and I want to develop it as best I can. College is not the only way to do this but it can be a good way to. I firmly believe that a woman ought to be able to support herself and her family if something were to happen to her husband. For me this will probably mean getting a teaching degree. This necessitates my going to college.

However, these are my choices which are supported by my parents and which seem, as far as I can tell, to be in accordance with God's will and plan for me. They are not the choices for everyone--not because some people aren't smart enough to go to college but rather because God has different plans for each of us. Some of us will be called to go to college, others won't. Neither group need judge the other. That is not to say that we won't, but that is a function of our fallen nature, not the facts.

My two cents in the on-going discussion.

No comments: