Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Fellow Janeites!

Just in case you hadn't heard: ITV (a British TV station) has commissioned three new Jane Austen dramas. They will be airing in the UK at the end of this month and into April and here in America on Masterpiece Theatre starting in November 2007. (November. I am going to die between now and then.)

The three are:
~Persuasion
~Northanger Abbey
~Mansfield Park

The official ITV Jane Austen website. Not much to see at the moment, but there is a trailer.

Because I'm more interested in Persuasion than anything else, two articles, both with interviews. The first one contains short interviews with a number of people, the second one is just Rupert Penry-Jones, the new Captain Wentworth.

#1
#2

You could also check the Pemberley boards for those novels or Austenblog for more information as it becomes available.

I for one am quite hopeful, particularly since I love Persuasion and was never a fan of Ciaran Hinds. We shall see, we shall see....

The BBC is also, at some point, making a new S&S. We don't know when, and as far as I know, we don't know casting.

2 comments:

Robert said...

That's good news though that will be a long wait for us in North America.

Have you seen the 1971 version of Persuasion? and what did you think of it.I'm interested in watching that movie and I have read many negative remarks about that version.The 1995 version has more positive remarks.

Thank you.

MaureenE said...

I have seen the 1971 version but it was years ago and I hadn't seen the 1995 version. I think I would be pretty horrified if I saw it now. Even then the green plaid dress made me raise my eyebrows a bit. The 1995 version is very good except that I'm not wild about that Captain Wentworth.

Hope that helps!